Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Life after surgery

I just wanted to update everyone on how we're doing and more importantly how Merrick is doing and how his surgery went. This is a picture of Merrick the day after he cut open his hemangioma and they catarized it at the ER. Not very pretty is it, by the way he cut this thing open a total of 5 times (thats 5 bloody messes where blood was just everywhere) and we had to take him to the ER a total of 3 times before the ER realized this was a serious case and got us an appointment with the Children's Hospital in Madera.

The last ER doctor we saw got us an appointment with a Children's Plastic Surgeon at the Children's Hospital in Madera and we scheduled to have Merrick's hemangioma removed on April 16th. Here's Merrick in his super little Hospital pajamas. He got changed and then got to go back in the waiting room to play until the doctor was ready for him.

Merrick had to be put to sleep for the surgery. The surgery lasted no more than 10 minutes and then he had to spend some time in the recovery room. This is him coming out of the anesthesia. He was so tired. He got a few stitches but other than that the surgery went really well. His eye looks 1,000% better and he's back to his usual self.

I've been trying to think outside the box with fun activities for him to do while I nurse or do other things around the house. One that I've thought of is giving Merrick messy stuff to play with in the tub. Here he has a big tub of hair gel that I got from the 99 cent store. Needless to say his little adventurous spirit is back and ready to explore. He was so restricted while we were going through his eye drama that it seems like he's really excited to be getting back into the swing of the things.

Here are my two boys. If you look closely Merrick's eye is almost healed. The stitches are already beginning to dissolve and it doesn't look like there will be too much of a scar. Thanks for all those prayers, phone calls and text messages you guys really did help me get through what I hear is just the beginning of a long list of issues to loose sleep over (GREAT!). What would people ever do without a strong family and good friends?
Lots of love from our family to yours!!!

5 comments:

deannah said...

Oh my gosh! If this is what happens after you get a second boy, I think I'm in trouble. I'm so glad everything is getting back to normal and I love your messy things in the tub idea! My sister in law would give her kids shaving cream in the tub!

Crazy Lifferths said...

I am so glad to see that his eye is doing much better. You have adorable boys! Memphis doesn't look like a newborn so much anymore, what handsome boys!

THE LIZARD'S said...

oh, patty.. i am so glad this all worked out for you and Merrick. This looks tough. Just last night I was laying in bed thinking, "Did i ever call patty back that one night" and I answered to myself, 'NO'.. AHHH.. so much for being a good friend..but I am SO glad you are all better!!!!-lolly

Cheryl said...

Patty, thanks for keeping us updated on your family. I love how sweet Merrick is with Memphis! When we have our second, I hope Ashby does that too! She already loves every "dolly" or "baby" that she sees. Your boys are way cute.

A Boy and 3 Girls said...

Merricks aaaweee looks painful. I'm glad that is finally over. I can't believe they expect a two year old not to touch it. Great idea with the hair gel. I will have to try it and maybe some shaving cream too. Love ya guys!!